I know that a whole bunch of us got to do a couple runs through the Ascalonian Catacombs last weekend. Most of everyone I’ve seen have either said it’s great fun, or way too hard. Now, this really depends on A)if you’re talking about the Story or explorable mode, and B)which path on explorable mode you went down. While I will be covering some of the aspects for explorable mode soon, this time I’m going to throw out some tips and tricks my group found while delving into the Ascalonian Catacombs Story mode.
Now this isn’t going to be a walkthrough of the dungeon (I don’t want to spoil everything), and I’m intentionally leaving any exploits out of it because they’ll probably be fixed well before launch. This is just a collection of things to think about to help your group clear the dungeon easier.
- Blue mist on the floor equals bad guys. It’s usually best to watch for it so you don’t over-aggro.
- Minions = bad. they die too fast (one exception I’ll get to in a minute).
- Ranged is your friend for lower armor professions. The high damage of all mobs in the dungeon will kill you quite quickly if you engage within melee distance.
- Bring lots of Crowd Control (CC) in your party. The things in here that go bump in the night will make short work of you if they can get to you.
- Bait the Ascalonian Ranger’s traps. They open with them and they will immobilize you.
- Staff for support for guardians on Ascalonian Lieutenant will make your party members love you. (Greatsword to start things off with the adds)
- Stuns and immobilization are key in this boss fight.
- Warrior – Throw Bolas/Pin down (preferably both if you have two warriors)
- Warriors: Rifle Butt and Bulls Charge WILL daze the boss.
- Due to the close quarters of this fight, Elementalists are advised to stay away from staff. Dagger/Dagger or some such is much better suited.
- Water and Earth attunements are king in this fight.
Master Ranger Nente:
- Nente cannot be dazed.
- Knock-down doesn’t work here
- Immobilize is good
- Knock-back doesn’t work either
- Lastly, fear works
- Kasha Blackblood has a boulder on the right of the room, it is used for a nearby pressure plate. This opens a shortcut to Relena and Vassar.
- Kasha doesn’t move, you cannot pull or chain her; immobilize is pointless.
- Make sure you control her minions so they don’t overwhelm you.
- Bringing minion skills to counter her minions is a good way to keep them in check. (this is the exception to what was said above)
- Arcing arrow on warrior is best saved for minion spawns.
- Elementalists – offhand dagger to kill minion
Relena and Vassar:
- The bosses will each aggro a party member. The way to tell who it is is by the blue circle on the ground. If the leading edge follows you, you’ve got aggo.
- For the two people with aggro it is your responsibility to move to opposite sides of the room to break the bosses apart.
- If at all possible, to not close to melee distance with Vassar for any extended point in time.
- Relena has a nasty slowing AoE attack that does significant damage and keeps you from pulling her away.
- It is recommended to kite Vassar around the room while the party focuses on Relena first.
- Foefire hurts and there’s no warning before he uses it.
- The king has a large area AoE pull that he will use right before the foefire to grab as many party members into the AoE as possible. Save your dodge rolls for this if possible.
- He doesn’t move much, but you can still CC him with stuns, confusion, fear, etc… This will interrupt his skills.
- Skills that give the party stability are a HUGE plus. These are skills like, Hallowed Ground and “Stand Your Ground!”. Personal stability skills are also great like, Balanced Stance, Avatar of Melandru, and Mantra of Concentration.
Hopefully this will help out those that were struggling through the dungeon. Our group cleared it in 1 hour once we had figured out the stuff above. I KNOW you guys can do way better. I’ll be taking a closer look at the AC35 dungeon and each path therein in the near future, so keep your eyes open.
If you have any cool tips or tricks to add here, or for the future explorable mode article, drop me a PM in the forums or leave a comment below.